Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Challenge to Change

I think I had been at sort of a spiritual plateau for a while. And actually, it was probably more of a downward slope since it wasn't upward.
Anyway, God has been recently showing me that I really need to put him at the center of my life. An important verse for me has been the one in Matthew that says to seek first his kingdom and his righteousness and He will take care of the rest.

Speaking of verses, one thing I decided to do was to take Bible memorization more seriously, so I decided to start in Matthew chapter 5 and am currently on verse 25, which says, "Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still with him on the way, or he may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer and you may be thrown into prison." I am trying for a verse a day, although these past few days I have been slacking a little.

Anyway, right before that ties into the book I just read by Andy Stanley, called Enemies of the Heart. I picked this book mostly because I have heard good things about Andy Stanley.

I think God used this book to bring about some change in me, and to humble me to realize that there definitely are some changes that still need to be made. But along with that, God has encouraged me with the knowledge that I can change, I don't have to settle for who I think I am or who I have been, but I can trust that God's not finished with me. So that's been really cool.

This book has been helpful in that process. Actually, at one point, I realized that if I were going to keep reading the book, it was going to tell me some things I needed to change and I wasn't yet willing to do those things, so I stopped reading it temporarily.

I soon resumed after some time with God, and it was good.

I like the author's writing style along with the content of the book. I appreciate that it doesn't give steps that will automatically make you better but does lead you down a path that will clean out your heart, which will in turn change your life if you are willing to work at it.

I would recommend this book for anyone, specifically anybody who has ever had any problems at all.

This book was provided free for review by Waterbrook Multnomah.

No comments: