Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Musical Missionary

I wrote not long ago about the idea that I am made for music.

God has used several people, events, and ideas this summer to develop a certain vision of the type of ministry God has created me for.

One part of this was a retreat with some leaders at the church I am part of. Our church is going through a process called ReVision to evaluate God's purposes for our church and our place in the community and the world.

The core leaders of the process will be involved in 4 retreats throughout the year. The first of which was near the beginning of the summer and was focused on us as individuals and what God has created us to be and do.

One of the things that stuck out is that we are God's workmanship, and part of the retreat was creating a sticky note timeline of our life's important events and people.

Through that and other things at the retreat, I realized some of my core values and some of the things God has created me and prepared me to do. Some of the things that are part of who I am are music, global ministry, and a desire to wake up the American Church to the realities of the world and empower us to change.

Not long ago, I also realized that Kassie could be a great drummer. Our wednesday night drummer was absent and Kassie sat in and surprised me, in a good way. She is now working on some basics, but what I really appreciate about her drumming is that it is musical, creative...it isn't just keeping the beat.

Anyway, with those things and others, we have decided to start a band. I have had many ideas about what the band will be and do. I am not sure what will all pan out, but I am trying to remember that God must be the front and center.

Please, be in prayer about this and let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, ideas, etc. Thanks

No comments: