Saturday, July 23, 2011

Fact or Fiction

I realized again why it is not good for me to read fiction books when I received The Canary List by Sigmund Brouwer free from the Waterbrook Multnomah blogging for books program and finished it within three days. I am not necessarily a fast reader and don't normally read that much at a time, but this book, like many novels, had me hooked.
The book centers around a school teacher who gets dragged into a battle of good versus evil. As he searches for answers, he gets pulled deeper and deeper into the web of a plot that has originated in the Vatican.
Although it was somewhat dark and the things that it pointed out were negative aspects of the world, it was a good reminder of the evil that exists all around us an the spiritual battle that is taking place, even within places like the Vatican. As the author pointed out in the book, lack of belief in the existence of demons is very helpful to their cause. If you don't believe they exist, you aren't doing anything to fight them.
One thing the book lacks is hope. My hope comes in knowing that while there is evil, there is also good. Moreover, Jesus has already overcome death and his Word promises that good will triumph over evil in the end. This was not really portrayed in any way in the book. Furthermore, the ending left matters somewhat unclear about the existence of evil. For me, it is obvious that evil exists, but for some who might have read this book, it does not necessarily make anything clear.
My attention was kept by the book, but I don't know that I would suggest it to anybody for the reasons given above.

I do want to again show my appreciation to Waterbrook Multnomah for providing me with free review copies of books, including this one.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

hey, is that a new sigmund brouwer book or just one being republished or something? i hadn't heard of anything new by him in a while, but he used to be a favorite author. can i borrow your copy even though you wouldn't even recommend reading it? ;)