Thursday, March 18, 2010

Review of Start Here

The Harris brothers team up for another book about doing "hard things." Start Here is a follow-up on their previous book Do Hard Things. Although they are just in college, the two have definitely done hard things for God with their lives, including writing books, doing speaking tours, and encouraging thousands of others to do hard things as well.
This book does a great job of encouraging people to do things that are difficult, big and small, rather than living complacent apathetic lives. The brothers recognize that doing hard things is not the basis for gaining salvation in Christ, but it is an important component of living for Him. They offer many examples of hard things that others have done, with letters from teens and young adults and their stories, as well as a list at the end of the book of hard things ranging from "[Writing] my parents a letter thanking them for all they do," to, "[Organizing] citywide baby showers for a crisis pregnancy center."
While this book is aimed at teens, I believe it is a valid and helpful exhortation for Christians of all ages. I have not read the first book and am not a teen, but I was encouraged by the book to make changes in my own life, and I think others will be too.
I would definitely recommend this book for teenagers, and I would also recommend it for people of all ages, especially those struggling with complacency or apathy or people who just need some encouragement to get off the couch.
I would like to thank WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for providing this book free for review.
If you would like this book, go here: http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/catalog.php?isbn=9781601422705

No comments: