Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Livemocha

Well, I am not sure how many of you I have already told, but I think I should get paid for how much I advertise the site livemocha.com. It is a language learning site. You can take some free lessons, connect with people from all around the world who are trying to learn English and other languages, correct people's submissions in their lessons, and so on. It seems to be a great way to learn languages. I have been brushing up on Spanish. I also started to learn a little hindi but then decided to go for Mandarin Chinese instead since I have four Chinese conversation partners this semester, plus a good friend from China I met last year.

Speaking of Ou, he came over to have dinner with Kassie and I tonight. I tried out some of my Chinese on him. He had some laughs and helped me out a bit. It turns out, funny sounds an awful lot like tall, and strong sounds a lot like poor.

Since my chinese is limited, I was trying to say I am tall and poor. he thought I was full of myself, saying I am funny and strong. I also learned from him how to call Kassie pretty, which she seems happy about. When I asked him how to say crazy, Kassie warned him not to, so Ou just fed me the word for pretty again. Smart guy.

Life is going pretty well. I think this week has been a foreshadowing of the winter to come, kind of dark and cloudy. This tends to dampen my mood somewhat, and there were also a couple things to bolster that feeling.

On the positive side, though, I tried to stay positive about things and have noticed Kassie having a positive attitude as well. This has been very encouraging. It's much easier to stay positive when there is somebody with you who stays positive too.
It's also very helpful to focus on God, which we have done, in small ways, more lately than we had for a while.

I resumed my job search this week after about a week off. So far, I have applied to about 3 places this week. We'll see if anything comes from it. I know God's got our back and everything (literally everything...you know that "He's got the whole world in his hands" kind of thing).

Praise God!

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

i saw kassie mentioned something about livemocha on fb (i think) so i was checking it out. seems to be pretty decent, but it makes me realize how much i took for granted having people who spoke french sitting in front of me every day. it's nice to be able to just say, "how do you say this?" and point at something... but livemocha looks good as a start, now i just need to be like you and find some language partners.