Monday, February 22, 2010

Seek First His Kingdom

Today, it is raining, which naturally creates a certain moodiness within a person. I am actually glad it is raining, and I like the rain. Nonetheless, I cannot deny the effect the gloomy(Even to call the sky gloomy assigns affect to it.) sky has on my mood.
This only adds to the melancholy of my wife being gone for the week. While I am happy for her to be with family and friends and to hopefully get some rest and connect with God, it is hard for me to be without her.
Furthermore, I watched the movie "Copying Beethoven" this morning, which in some way affected my mood. Movies about music often have a mixed effect of inspiring me in my own musical pursuits while also accenting my lack of creativity and skill.

Now, I don't mean to be a downer, and despite all that, I would say my outlook is rather positive. Having said all that, I was reading the verse for Monday from a weekly verses thing I get in my email.

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."

Matthew 7:7-8

Reading it, I had this feeling that I should be asking God for something...to make me more creative, more wise, to help me get a job, to give me guidance...which lead me to realize I need to be asking for Him. That reminded me of the following verse:

Matthew 6:33

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

This vindicated my previous conclusion that I should be asking for God, but also reminded me that I need to do more than just ask. I need to seek Him.
Together the verses tell us, "Seek God above and before all else. In doing so, we will find God, and he will take care of everything."

I guess I am a little slow in learning this because it is something I think God has been teaching me for a while. I continue to seek other things, trying to find my own way and asking God if it's right or asking for His blessing, rather than seeking Him first and waiting on Him.

No comments: