Monday, February 6, 2012

Then Sings My Soul

I recently read the third book in Robert J. Morgan's series about Christian hymns, called Then Sings My Soul. Although there seemed to be some points or stories that were repeated, and Morgan seems a little eccentric to me, I did enjoy the book.


Then Sings My Soul taught me quite a bit about Christian songs, the history of hymns, and stories behind some of the hymn writers. It also renewed and bolstered my appreciation for hymns. Being a musician, reading this book has made me want to write songs of my own as well as re-arrange old hymns and bring some to the church in their original arrangements.

The book starts with a brief history of hymns from Biblical times to the present age. It then gives insight into several hymns. That is followed by a small number of stories that go into more depth about some hymns. It ends with a discussion of the importance of hymns.

While it is not an exhaustive book, it offers a wealth of knowledge and has inspired me to dig deeper on my own. I wouldn't say the book is an entertaining, quick read. Nor is it difficult or arduous. For some it might be quite enjoyable, while for others it might be more like a textbook.

I would suggest it for any Christian, but especially for Christian musicians, specifically worship leaders.

I received a copy of this book free for review from the BookSneeze program.

For your own copy, you can go to Thomas Nelson or Amazon.

No comments: