Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Last Christian

If you like futuristic ideas mixed with suspense, infused with Christianity, this is the book for you. Abby, a woman who was raised in the isolation of the jungles of Papua New Guinea, emerges to find somebody to stop the plague that is killing her tribe. Upon leaving the jungle, she receives a message that she is being called to bring Christianity back to America.
With all the new technology and ideas of this future age, along with confusing messages from all directions, Abby has a wild ride ahead of her, more wild to her than the jungle she came from.

I really enjoyed and appreciated this book for many reasons. First of all, it was entertaining; it kept me wondering what was going to happen next. Second of all, it made me think about my faith and beliefs in different ways and reminded me of things I tend to forget. I appreciate being able to read a book that keeps me entertained while also strengthening my faith.

One red flag I do have to put up, something that I do not like about the book is the way it portrayed the Big Bang Theory and Evolution as if they are proven facts. I know it is common for Christians to not really know about about how the Creation described in Genesis fits in with scientific evidence. I, for one, have just recently started becoming enlightened on that topic. Because of that, it frightened me that the faithful Christian in the story explained to a questioning college student that the Big Bang was most likely used by God in creating the earth. It goes on to say that the story of Genesis isn't meant to be taken literally, or something of that sort. I disagree with this, due to recent research I have done and would suggest that anybody who has questions about this should take a look at answersingenesis.org.
I hope you find the site to be as interesting and insightful as I have.

As far as the book, I would suggest it to friends but would make sure to include a warning or explanation about that red flag.
To get your own copy of the book, go to http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/catalog.php?isbn=9781400074976

This book was provided free for review by WaterBrook Multnomah

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

Thanks for posting your review as a reminder that I need to post mine. :)

That's an interesting thought as far as the big bang red flag you mentioned. I don't remember thinking it was as concretely stated as you said, but you could be right. I haven't done extensive research into creation or anything, but is it possible that the method God used for creation could be what others describe by the Big Bang? I just mean in the sense that God created something out of nothing real fast -- not getting into the details of creation after that, and not knowing the full details of what the big bang theory says. Not sure if that makes sense at all...